Tuesday, May 29, 2007

don't worry. I am ok. thank you.

It has taken me the longest time to come up with this post.

A, a very good friend of BB's and mine, was admitted into the Intensive Care Unit of Queen Mary Hospital on Tuesday due to a brain haemorrhage. The bleeding took place near the brain stem so no surgery could be performed. He went into a coma soon after he was rushed to the hospital. So the last week has seen his family and friends crying, praying and going on a collective emotional roller coaster ride.

Now, after much struggling and false alarms, A has been moved out of the ICU and into the general ward. He is still in a coma, his brain stem having been damaged to a large extent. He is sustained by a life-support machine, and things are not likely to improve in the future, according to the doctors.

Sorry for the seemingly matter-of-factly account of this event. There was so much I wanted to tell you, but all words failed me.

Give me some time - to digest the whole thing, to let reality sink in. Right now a part of me seems to think that maybe this was all just a terrible nightmare, and that I would wake up eventually and everything would be fine.

If you belive in God, please pray for my friend A, his wife C (who is also a very good friend of ours) and both A and C's family. They have been surprisingly strong so far, but they need every support and prayer we can offer.

In the past seven days, I have seen the glory of God, the power of prayers, and the strength of friendship and family love. I will tell you all about it, but maybe later. Let us just focus on today. Every day is a gift from God.

Right now I am still numb from the suddenness of it all. Thank you to all of you who read my previous post and wondered if I was ok. I am. The fact that I can breathe on my own and move my arms and type this post makes me almost the luckiest person on earth. How could I never realise that.