Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I hate therefore I kill

I wanted to write about my date with this yummy man, but that has to wait till later, when BB is less busy at work and can guest blog about it.

I am still in shock about yet another college shooting in the States. I was just watching on YouTube yesterday about TR Knight's interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show - he was talking about the incident last October where Isaiah Washington called him a faggot. Ellen, a homosexual herself, expressed her concern about this and said "people should not say hateful words to one another". She mentioned it again at the Oscars, saying that people should stop hating one another simply because of their race, religion or sexual orientation.

The shooting is a case in point. It may not have anything to do with the above things, but it is about hatred. And it shows what a powerful and destructive weapon hatred can be. I cannot imagine what could make this young Korean so angry and frustrated that he has to kill all his school mates. But whatever he went through in life, he must have been in pain. I feel sorry for him, as I feel very sorry for the victims.

My heart dropped a beat when I heard that the police first suspected the shooter was a Chinese man. But it's not any better that he's a Korean. It's tough being the minority in a foreign country, and when things like this happen, it just makes things worse. I hope the Americans will be sensible enough not retaliate against the Korean community.