Thursday, August 31, 2006

Salt and Light

The cleaning lady just came into my office and gave me a little individually-wrapped cake. She said today is her last day at work. She is not an employee of our company, but works for a cleaning company that we engage to clean our offices. This lady only comes into our office at the end of each day to take out our trash.

I suddenly feel a bit sad. All this time my converation exchange with this lady does not go beyond the simple "Hello", "Thank you", "You going home soon? - Yes, about to", so I should have no reason to feel saddened by her departure. After all, people come and people go.

But the cake. Why did she give me the cake? And from the way she gave it to me (in a hush hush manner even though there was nobody else in my office), I figured that she gave the cakes to selective people, and I was one of the lucky few. What have I done to deserve the cake? I don't even know her name! I haven't ever asked about her, whether she has kids, how long she has been in this job. And yet she gave me this cake, perhaps thinking that in some way there is a connection between us (which I failed to notice).

It seems that the cleaning lady and I are in reversed positions. As a Christian, I should be the one reaching out to people, regardless of whether the recipient understands or appreciates such friendliness. But here I am, sitting in my office, receiving a cake from an almost stranger, while wondering why I should be getting this gift in the first place.