Sunday, October 14, 2007

Paris.

My trip to Paris couldn't start off more perfectly. On the night I flew:

- Not being able to use my air miles to get a pre-arranged on-line upgrade, I went to the check-in counter with a heavy heart. And then, all of a sudden, I was allowed a last-minute upgrade to Business Class. Yay!

- Dinner with Mr & Mrs S at Lei Garden, followed by dessert at Moon Kee, both at IFC. Very satisfied. 75% happily (25% sad because I won't see BB for 12 days) off to the airport and on to the plane.

- And then I, who never could catch a wink on the plane, managed to get S-I-X hours' sleep!! Woke up refreshed, watched Die Hard 4.0 and the second part of Knocked Up, and before I knew, I was in Paris.

- Journey from the airport to my service apartment could not be more smooth. The taxi driver, a very nice lady took me to the destination swiftly and it cost me only 50 euro, 10 euro less than I expected.

When I got off the taxi, I was in an excellent mood, secretly laughing about everything going so wonderfully smoothly.

And then I opened the front door to the service apartment. And I saw... staircases. My room is on the 2nd floor, so I spent the next 10 minutes dragging my 22kg Samsonite suitcase, step by step, up two flights of stairs.

And then I opened the door to my room. On their website it showed a moden, bright, cozy studio with a double bed and a lounge area.

And I got this -

Have you ever been to Tokyo and stayed in one of those really really tiny hotel rooms, where you can't open your door when you have your suitcase opened? Now make it twice as small, and you have my room. The deco is typical 80's, with a 14-inch non-brand TV hanging up on the wall (with zero international channels - you lying website!! - except for Euro Sport). The toilet is so tiny that you can't find a spot to hang your clothes or put your skin care products. Well, not that you will want to hang your clothes or put your skin care products in the toilet anyway, because when you shower the whole toilet (including the roll of toilet paper) will get totally soaked. And did I mention the hot water supply lasts for 10 minutes only? For a person who uses at least 9 minutes to wash her hair, this is a real challenge.

And when I was trying to overcome the shock, I discovered that a certain thing called "pillow" was absent from my room, and as today is Sunday, the management office is, of course, closed. I will sleep a pillow-less sleep.