Sunday, July 01, 2007

The long weekend

This is BB here - DBJ has given me permission to write another guest blog while she parties away on her hen weekend in Zhong Shan.

After another challenging week at work (bosses in every part of the company wanted to please a certain client that was also ringing me for midnight con calls), it was great to have a long weekend.

Escaping the Saturday rain, I went to the movies and saw "Die Hard 4" with two uni friends who, like me, have made HK their home for the next few years. Cool as Bruce Willis is, the plot and action scenes were just too OTT. Even for me. "24" is better.

Saturday dinner was enjoyably spent at a restaurant that I had been wanting to visit for ages, but somehow never managed to. I'll definitely come back (next time with DBJ who won't be pleased that I've gone to another decent restaurant w/out her).

I can't really comment on the restaurant reviews that say it's a NY style brasserie. I've never been to NY, much to Americans' disbelief. What I do know is that the food and atmosphere were great. Floor to ceiling windows, an open kitchen, chalkboard containing my favourite dishes, some good wines and a very respectable selection of cheeses (alas we were too full to try the cheeseboard), make this place well worth a visit. We had a very fresh endive, pear and blue cheese salad (perfect to get the gastric juices flowing), foie gras terrine (decent size portion though there could have been a bit more jam/quince), great burger with all the trimmings, asparagus (nicely grilled and presented), creamed spinach, profiteroles, apple crumble etc.. You get the picture. I am a fan of such high quality and generously portioned comfort food! (The place also does brunch, so I can see Phoenix facing some stiff competition.)

The only gripe I have is that, having spent a reasonable sum on a wine, the glasses were unisex white/red ones which could not give justice to the Bordeaux. (I hate to admit that I am becoming a Frasier or Niles in being so judgemental, but this is a warning to DB's readers who do like their wine).

All in all, a very enjoyable Saturday.

Long may the weekend continue!