Thursday, July 27, 2006

A spotless mind

In what I consider the most romantic movie of all times, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Joel and Clementine undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories. As the movie unfolds, Joel realises he does not really want to erase his memories about Clementine and that he still loves her, and so he tries to smuggle her back into his memory.

If you had a choice, would you erase anything from your memory? A failed relationship, a terrible mistake you made, or times of heartbreak and sorrow?

Some people say that in order to be happy, you have to forget the (not-so-happy) past and move on. I do not agree. I cherish the happy memories, and I embrace all the hearbreaking moments, the pain I felt and all the mistakes I made and foolish (borderline crazy) things I did in the past, for without them I would not become what I am today. For better or for worse, these memories are part of me.

I only live one life, a life given to me by God. I would not want to erase anything from it. Well, maybe a few inches from my waist. THAT I do want to erase.