Thursday, July 27, 2006

Newsflash

On my way to work this morning, I had figured out what I would write today; I even had a mental draft in my head with all the paragraphs sorted and a funny title.

When I came into the office, my boss told me that she had handed in her resignation letter. She is the only other westernised person in the entire Hong Kong office. We share similar wavelength and professionalism, and although she is not a perfect boss (she has temper issues), I have so far enjoyed working with her.

So imagine my shock when she said she's quitting. Worse still, she said after she's gone, I will probably inherit all her files. That means I will have to deal with all the top-level politics which she is shielding me from at the moment. That means I will be handling two people's workload on a one-person income (no promotion or salary increase!). That also means that I will have to report to my boss' boss, a cocky Chinese guy who thinks he knows everything and never listens to lawyers.

I am dead meat.