Saturday, February 03, 2007

Things I learned over the past 120 hours

- Acupuncture is the world's best invention ever. Those little needles work wonders! Make sure you go to the good acupuncturist though; the bad ones leave your back bruised and swollen.
- Everything is about the flu. Apparently my back problem was triggered by the flu. Note to self: must wrap up and not drink cold stuff again.
- As much as I like gossip magazines, reading 5 in a day is somewhat too much.
- My mum is the world's best mum. She came over to our place last night to cook me dinner and look after me.
- BB really treats my family like his. Evidence: last night, after his shower, and apparently forgetting that we have guest, BB stepped out of the washroom and marched into the living room in his usual post-shower outfit - a dry tower wrapped around his waist. Upon seeing my mum, he said in a slightly embarrassed tone, "Your mum is my mum lah, I am sure she doesn't mind hehe". My mum must be very touched, for she was laughing non-stop.
- I am a freak. During the time when I could not bend my back, the one single thing that annoyed me most was "there is dust and hair on the floor! Sh*t I can't sweep the floor! How can I walk on dirty floor!!!" I even tried to pick up hair on the floor with my toes (it worked, in case you wondered).

More importantly:
- Never take things for granted. It takes a very healthy person to do simplest things in life, like getting off the bed or wiping one's bottom or scooping cat litter. When you are suffering from scoliosis and cannot move even an inch, you would realise how fortunate and blessed you were all your life simply being healthy.
- Things happen for a reason. When you are suffering from an illness, it puts your life in a whole new perspective. You also become more empathetic to people suffering from similar illnesses. It shouldn't be this way, but sometimes you really have to go through something to understand how it feels, in order to become more patient and tolerant to other people.
- Be thankful and count the blessings: all the good doctors recommended by my friends, love of my family and friends, having an understanding boss, and the fact that I am recovering and can soon become mobile again.