Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Baby Talk

I had a meeting with a recruiter after work a few days ago, and what was supposed to be a get-to-know-the-candidate-betting meeting turned into a 1.5 hour conversation (or monologue or preaching) about babies as soon as the recruiter found out I got married two months ago.

Recruiter: So are you planning on having babies? Because if you aren't, you'd better do so now!

Me: .....

Recruiter: You know what, don't plan! Just do it! If you ever plan about having babies you will never have them, and before you blink another two years will have flown by and you will then regret why you didn't do it earlier, when your physical and mental health was in better shape.

Me: My hushand and I have a vague consensus that we want to enjoy couplehood for a few years before considering having babies.

Recruiter: No don't do that! How old are you now? [I told her] See you're not young anymore. You really should be making babies right now. Trust me, your whole life will change and you will be so happy when you have your own babies.

Me: [Trying to be polite] Hm... I will definitely discuss it with my husband tonight.

Recruiter: Don't discuss, just do it! Buy some sexy lingerie, stop taking the pills, throw away the condoms, whatever! Just make sure you make babies!

The recruiter got married a few years ago and now she has two children. I can tell she is very happy. She showed me the photos albums of her kids, told me how she enjoyed going to the movies with her daughter, how cute her son was. I was quite surpirsed when she told me she's older than me, because she looked almost 10 years younger than her real age. She is also very pretty and slim too. "It's so unfair", I told her jokingly.

By the time I looked at my watch, it was 7.30pm already (our meeting started at 6pm) and we had barely covered anything remotely job-related. We finished our meeting and the recruiter quickly rushed home to see her kids.