Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Earthquake

Had lunch with B and H in Central today (yes it's a long journey for me, covering 16 MTR stations). Over seafood linguine and Tiramisu, the topic of earthquake popped up, and I felt left out when I told them I didn't feel anything when it happened last Thursday in Hong Kong.

How could I miss it? It only happens like, once in a century! And the quake measured 3.5 on the Richter scale! According to some press description, "an earthquake has rattled Hong Kong, causing skyscrapers to shake and sending people running into the streets in rural areas". Some people said it felt like a plane crashing into their building. How could I not have felt anything?

At the time when the quake happened, I was AT HOME! COOKING! Just doing what all other people were doing when they felt the shake! My friend B said it must be because I had the kitchen hood switched on - the noise of the hood plus the fact that I was engaged in a battle (i.e. cooking) had made me oblivious to the shakes and moves outside my apartment.

Whatever the reason maybe, part of me feels bad for missing out on this "collective experience" (I have never experienced any earthquakes in my life (Thank God) but it would be quite exciting to feel it once, not the major fatal ones, but minor ones like what we just had), but at the same time I couldn't help but think that maybe ignorance really is a blessing sometimes. Something bad happens but I am ignorant of it, so life goes on, every one's fine and dandy at the end and we all live happily ever after.

Life cannot get any better than this.